Saturday, July 26, 2014

All I Ever Needed to Know I learned During a Kitchen Remodel

I forged ahead and contacted a second kitchen company.  The first thing I noticed was how he listened for the first part of our meeting.  He asked questions about how I use my kitchen, how many people are in the kitchen at once and what my dream kitchen might look like.  He had heard of pinterest and recycled glass counter tops which I mentioned during our conversation.  He heard me when I said I wanted a cottage kitchen.  He was easy to talk to and got excited about my ideas.  He is Italian and talks with his hands.  When we got to flooring he suggested wood floors because they really fit with a cottage look but tile could work too.  Oh my, you mean there is more than one way to do things!  

After listening he told me he wanted to present me with an idea.  Not in two weeks, right there on the spot.  He sketched out a plan.  The biggest idea was pertaining to my window dilemma.  I have a big window that takes up a lot of one wall and one small window over the sink.  He preposed getting rid of the small window that faces the driveway and the neighbors house, the window without a view he called it.  The big window he suggested we replace but shorten, the window with a view of the backyard.  Then he moved the sink under the big window.  He included a pantry with pull out shelves which I had mentioned.  The stove and a hood where the small window had been.  It was like watching a puzzle just fall into place.  It made so much sense!  We met a week later with the drawn up plan, tweaked it to MY taste even more, asked many questions about the process and settled on a price point.  

The third company called and said they would call me back in a week or two...its been three.  Not a good sign.  So its time to make my choice.  Is is door #1 with its "one way" of thinking, door #2 with its "listen to customer"approach  or door #3 with its "we will call you later" philosophy.  

Of course its #2!  I have had my "Italian Kitchen Designer" (doesn't that sound Grossie Pointie) and a couple of the subcontractors in and it all looks like a go......except for that existing flooring issue????  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment