Sunday, July 27, 2014

All I Ever Needed to Know I Learned During my Kitchen Remodel
 I decided to write about my kitchen remodel for the purpose of learning what I can from the experience (and maybe give you a little entertainment along the way too).  My last post I got a little distracted in telling the story of choosing my fabulous Italian kitchen designer and forgot to write about what I learned.

It's kind of like these shoes pictured above.  I went to the store because they had summer pajama pants on sale and came home with these really cute tennis shoes, aren't they cute and they go so well with jeans!

Focus, I could so get off track at this juncture.

The lesson from the last post I think is how important it is to listen.  Remember that saying about why God gave you TWO ears and only ONE mouth.  The kitchen remodel company I chose got the job because he really listened to what I was saying.   This listening thing is an unexpected lesson for me to come out of a kitchen remodel.  I am by nature a talker and  it didn't help that they named a doll "Chatty Cathy" when I was growing up either.  Where in my life should I be talking less and listening more?

The lesson I am learning from this post is FOCUS.  Do what you set out to do.  I am not so good at this.  I like detours, oh lets be honest I look for detours to take!  In a remodel it is so easy to get off track and there are some side tracks that need to happen.  For example, we are going to need to set up a little pseudo temporary kitchen in our dining room/living room area.  We don't have enough space so I decided to list the piano on craigslist since no one is playing it anymore and it would free up much needed space.  I took pictures of the piano and created the craigslist post.  No bites so I reposted it a few days later with a lower price and sold the piano!

Now that I have some more space I need something to use for temporary storage in my pseudo kitchen.  I remember that Will is using some wonderful plastic drawers in his closet for clothes.....if I finally get him a dresser which I have been meaning to do since his room remodel last summer, I could use those drawers.  Its off to Fred's Unique Furniture, the most awesome used furniture/lots of other stuff place ever!  Focus....focus....I could go on and on about Fred's. (fredsuniquefurniture.com)   We decide to drop off a desk to Fred's while we are there and earn a little money too.  We find a great dresser and put it in Will's room.  I now have 7 plastic drawers to use in my fake kitchen. Phew!

I started putting kitchen items that we use all the time in the plastic drawers.  That got me thinking about the meals we will make during construction using only the grill, crock pot and microwave.  I decided that I should choose 10-12 recipes that will be our staple menu for the weeks we truly have to rely on our fake kitchen.  By choosing the recipes I could better decide which items I needed in the drawers and which ones can be boxed up and put in the basement.  Talk about a challenge for focus...there are so many wonderful recipes online, there are even sights where they give advice for people cooking during a kitchen remodel!

I decided to go ahead and start boxing items I wouldn't miss.  Boxes???  My favorite boxes are from Uhaul and they have great packing paper too.  I could use moving boxes...

Enough....you get the idea.  Every step leads to two or three other steps to achieve my goal.  I have to continually remind myself what my original goal was.  Kitchen remodeling is going to seriously stretch my focus muscles!



No comments:

Post a Comment