Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sewing with Hope

     I sewed last night!  I remember watching my mom whip up these wonderful clothing items on her sewing machine.  I always had a new outfit for the annual class trip or a dress for the banquets in high school.  I took a little 4H class and we made a pillow case.  I was so proud of that project.  I recieved a sewing machine for college graduation and it has logged quite a few hours.  
     This past christmas I made pajama pants for lots of family.  Last night I made some for my daughter who will celebrate her birthday this week-end.  It was so fun to match the material with her latest obsession (Lakeshore High School).  It was so relaxing sewing with good music playing.  So much better than getting in the cold car, shopping for the perfect gift, settling for something not quite right and more expensive, and finally arriving home exhausted.      I could think while I sewed.  I thought about little Dana and how I used to make her clothes.  I truly made her gift with love!  I know that sounds like a cliche but it is true.  
     I listened to some news while I sewed and prayed for the people in Haiti.  I wondered, why me?  Why do I get to enjoy this great evening sewing and they are mourning and scrambling for their lives?
     I watched as a couple yards a fabric gradually turned into the shape of pajama pants.  In a just a couple of hours I saw this delightful item take shape.  With so many other things in life it takes so long so see the end result.  Sewing gives me hope that things will take shape...it might take until heaven knows when...or when we are in heaven!
      I am thankful, for my daughter, my mom who taught me to sew and hope, hope that things will take shape in my life and the lives of the people in Haiti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment